This week I got the garden in and the yard all cleaned up for summer. I can’t wait to have our daughter helping me in the garden in a few years… In the meantime, we had our friend’s 5 year old daughter come over and help transplant all of our seedlings into the garden, and we harvested the first asparagus of the season.
It has been HOT here this week. 30° Celsius, feels like 35-36. We get little thunder storms nearly every day when it’s this hot in the spring. I love this weather, but I am definitely feeling the effects of the heat a lot more now – sweaty, swollen, exhausted. The AC has definitely been turned on, and I seriously can’t wait to get up to the cottage and swim in the cold water.
Preparations for baby
- put a deposit down on a birthing tub. It’s official – we are going to try for a home water birth.
- Hypnobirthing classes are done, and I will continue to practice all the techniques I learned right up until birth.
- I’ve been practically living on the yoga ball, working on good baby carrying posture. As a natural couch potato and sloucher, I want to do everything I can to get baby used to being in a good birthing position. I know I’m a whole 10 weeks or so away from needing to worry too much about positioning baby, but I want to practice now!
(Lots of) Bodily Sensations This Week
- More Braxton Hicks. The uterus gets so hard that it feels like it’s about to pop like a balloon. My abdomen also gets bigger, or higher, when it happens. No pain with these practice contractions, and not even really discomfort. I would just call it a strange sensation.
- Hip pain (and now tailbone pain) isn’t going anywhere. In fact it’s getting worse. I may break down and visit a pelvic physiotherapist for my hips.
- Waking up a lot through the night. Sometimes to pee, sometimes because I’m so hot, sometimes for no reason, and then I just lay there staring at the ceiling for a while.
- Minor edema, swelling in hands and feet. Only when I have been standing for a while or I’m really hot. I really don’t want to have to take my wedding rings off, but at some points in the day I start to lose circulation in my ring finger… 😦
- Itchy hands and feet. This issue has surfaced with the warm weather. The hotter it gets, the itchier my hands and feet get. I feel like I have bug bites on them, but there’s nothing there. Soaking in cold water helps.
- Nipples are changing. I was beginning to think that this wouldn’t happen to me, but it looks like they are now catching up with my boob growth. There is also a weird scattering of pigment around them. I thought I would mourn my old nipples more if they ended up changing, but it is reassuring to know that they are growing to make breastfeeding easier for baby. My body is doing what it is supposed to do. I am part of nature…
- Round ligament pain. Makes turning and getting up uncomfortable and is definitely affecting my sleep.
- Lots of kicks. She can kick things right off my belly now, like a book, or my laptop. My wife can also feel and hear baby’s heart beat through my abdomen.
Baby This Week
- 14″ long, size of a bunch of kale, or maybe a butternut squash. Weighs approximately 2 lbs
- Eyes are starting to open for the first time since the eyelids formed and fused together.