I do not have gestational diabetes! Screening test was a false positive.
My wife took me dress shopping and bought me a really pretty lace maternity dress to wear to our friend’s wedding next weekend. We got it [on sale!] at Thyme Maternity – a store that always puts me in a fowl mood because they push their products and don’t understand bargain-hunters. They actually struck up an argument with me over stretch mark cream. Even though I told them that I understood the latest research on stretch marks and know that there is no consistent evidence that fancy creams will prevent them, they tried to convince me that their brand of overpriced stretch mark cream is the only real effective cream out there, and I better buy it for my own good. Ugh… get off my back you dirty swindlers… Anyway, I also had to buy dressy sandals to wear with the new dress, because there was no way I was cramming my feet into heels that are too small for me now. I’ll need to find some other fancy shindigs to go to this summer to make the purchase worth it.
Preparations for Baby
- picked a wall colour for the nursery and my wife is almost done all the plaster repair
- started seeing gifts being purchased off of our registry
- won a baby-related giveaway! It was just a $25 gift card to Mastermind Toys, but it was nice to win something after the hundreds of giveaways I have entered!
- bonding with baby. We have been talking to her and poking her lots. My wife said the cutest thing to me when I got home late from an evening meeting: “you get to be with her all day… you’re keeping our baby from me” (said in a sweet and not-guilt-tripping way)
- have done lots more research on cloth diapers and have purchased a few different types used to see what they’re like. I think I’d like to use a combination of All In Two’s (a waterproof cover with a snap-in insert for easy washing and drying) and wool covers with a fitted cotton/bamboo diaper inside. Now that I know what I want, I can approach my used diaper hunting with more precision and can hopefully build up most of our collection through used shopping. Just look at the adorableness of these wool covers from Sloomb. The real challenge is going to be holding myself back from buying too many wool covers, since you only need a few with lots of fitteds to go inside.
Bodily Experiences This Week
- Felt baby’s hiccups for the first time! It was a rhythmic, subtle, “kick” feeling – probably her back hitting the inside of my belly every time she hiccuped. Some were strong enough to feel on the outside. Actually felt it twice this week.
- Sleep problems. I miss sleep. I do enjoy almost daily naps now that I’m not sleeping well at night, but it’s not the same as getting a full consecutive 8 hours of restful sleep. There are a few factors contributing to my shitty sleeping:
- sore hips and the fact that I can’t simply roll into a new position when I get uncomfortable because my pillow fortress is awkward to get out of;
- heavy abdomen that needs support or I get round ligament pain;
- not being able to sleep on my back;
- the cats see that I am awake through the night and think it is time to bug me for attention which makes it harder to fall back to sleep;
- having to pee 2 or 3 times through the night;
- straight up insomnia where I lay there with my eyes closed trying to sleep but my brain takes hours to shut down at the end of the day
Baby This Week
- Weighs 2-1/4 to 2-1/2lb, 15″ long. Feet are 2″ long – I can picture them… so cute!!! This week we are going to go with the eggplant comparison.
- getting chubby enough to soon be able to regulate her own body temperature.
- Body fat is currently 2 to 3%, and will be ~10% at birth. Still a ways to go. I’ll help her out by eating lots of homemade whipped cream with my strawberries. That’s how it works, right?
- Starting to shed the vernix caseosa that developed to protect the developing skin (but will likely still have a bit left by the time of delivery).
- Starting to experience REM sleep, which indicates that she MIGHT be dreaming. (Although what the heck does she have to dream about? Being poked and listening to me read boring things to her?)
- Eyes can produce tears.
- Might be sticking out her tongue now.
- Chance of survival outside the womb are about 90% now.