I am 8 months pregnant. 2 months to go.
The cottage vacation was nice, but it is SO much more relaxing to be at home. I got very little sleep while away because family would have the TV on until midnight every night (and I would be in bed from 10pm with a pillow over my head trying to drown it out), I would wake up 5+ times a night to pee or readjust (I even ended up on the couch at 3am one night because the bed was so uncomfortable), and then our 3 month old nephew would start crying for breakfast at 5:30am.
However, we spent the last night and day of the vacation alone, and it was lovely. My wife worked on baby room projects like the mobile and painting some shadow boxes, and I did some writing work sitting out on the deck overlooking the beach and the water. We went for an evening canoe (because GOD was it hot during the days), and I spent a lot of time floating in the cool water. It was a great end to a somewhat hectic and bustling 5 day vacation.
I had my 32 week midwife appt this week and asked about birth registration. Apparently by Aug 31st Ontario will have a new online birth registration form that will allow you to list whichever parents you want despite who gave birth. I confirmed with the midwife, and she said we could put my wife’s name as parent, even though that has so far been illegal when there is a known sperm donor in the mix. So… I THINK this means no need for a second parent adoption! The details are still really fuzzy though, and more parental rights laws are expected to be passed by the end of September.
Bodily Experiences This Week
- Sleep problems. My wife wonders if the reason people in their third trimesters have sleep problems is to prepare them for the sleeplesness of new parenthood. I don’t think that makes any sense from a sleep science perspective, but it does help a bit to think that my restless, sleepless nights have a higher purpose.
- Baby movements are getting more awesome by the week. We watched what must have been a baby bum pushing out super far and wiggling around, like she was shaking her butt at us. Movements feel very controlled and powerful now, unlike the earlier reflex kicks.
- Lower back pain. It’s actually more muscle tightness than pain.
- Breathlessness and racing heart. I feel like I am horrendously out of shape and unhealthily overweight, but I’m not. It’s just pregnancy…
- Memory problems (AKA pregnancy brain). My memory keeps getting worse. I am all confused as to what day it is and when meetings are. If I don’t triple check my calendar, I guess wrong and end up at the wrong place at the right time, or the right place at the wrong time.
- Gained 11 pounds since last midwife appt (2.5 weeks ago). Midwife noted it as a big jump but wasn’t concerned since I’m still within a reasonable weight gain at 26 pounds total. I’m wondering if the water weight is finally affecting me now that it’s super hot and I’m drinking a ton. My face and extremities aren’t swollen or puffy yet.
Baby This Week
- 3-3/4 lbs, 18″ long
- nothing new to report… she’s just putting on the chub!