I had another blood pressure spike at my midwife appointment again today, and went into the hospital. The OB on call checked my cervix and said I was already 3cm dilated, fully effaced, baby’s head in the best position for go time.
The OB surprisingly offered me two options and wouldn’t say which he recommended. Either I get induced today, or I get blood pressure meds and go home for a week to wait and hope for a natural birth.
The midwife, who is an extreme advocate for natural home births, gave me advice that I was not expecting, and because I trust that she would give me the birth I want if at all possible, her advice is helping me to make a decision I never thought I would willingly make… She said that as much as she advocates for home births, my blood pressure is not safe for me, and she has seen many times where a woman chooses to wait it out and ends up with a dire emergency at the end of the waiting – like a C section because the blood pressure is leading to seizures. She helped me to see how I could still have a peaceful, present birth experience with drugs.
So that’s it… I am going in for an induction today. My wife is madly rushing home from work, and I am trying not to get nervous about all the drugs.