This post is not meant to make other parents feel concerned if their kid of the same age is not doing the things Avery’s doing. I don’t even know if Avery is ahead of average, or if I’m seeing her through a parent’s rose coloured glasses. And it doesn’t really matter, either. Like all kids, Avery excels at some things and she struggles with others. She didn’t walk until 15 months. But there are some things she’s doing and saying right now that I’m wildly impressed and amazed by, and I’m going to share them here.
1. She knows all the main colours: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, pink, white, black, brown. She can identify them with 100% accuracy, and she can say them with 50% precision (e.g., “reh,” “owan,” “eh-ow,” “reen,” “bue,” etc.)
2. She knows all the animals. Her daycare provider told me how shocked she was that she even knew less common animals like alligator and giraffe. She can say a lot of them with the same precision as the colours (e.g., “raffe”) and others, like alligator, she just points to when you ask where it is. I think she’s at about 50 animals now that she solidly knows.
3. She can count to three. Like, she points to all the ladybugs in a book and counts “one, two, ree!” When there are more than 3 of something, everything after three is two again. “One, two, ree, two, two, two, two!”
4. She can write the letter A (it’s messy but it’s legible), and she can half spell her name verbally. When we write her name down, she points at the letters and says “A, E, Y!” Just missing two letters….
5. She’s starting to use adjectives to describe a noun; e.g., wet sock; mommy boots (to get me to take her outside); three yellow ducks (“ree eh-ow duck); etc.
6. She’s really into the moon. It rises around 4pm here these days, so on our afternoon walks she always finds it and tries to walk toward it. She points it out in any book, whether it’s a full, quarter, or crescent moon, and shouts “moon!” with glee. At the Aquarium we visited recently, a giant model Earth rotated above our heads and she saw it before anyone else did and exclaimed, “moon!” Now, it’s not the right colour, but how did she know that the moon is also a rotating sphere? Blows my mind.
This kid blows my mind every day. Every month older she gets becomes my new favourite age to witness as a parent. This is all so worth the hardest months of my life when she was a new baby.